By Nerino Petro at 6 January, 2011, 7:35 pm
I'm a big fan of ioSafe external hard drives for data backup and protection from fire, water or impact (go ahead, crush it with a tank). You can check out videos of their drives being torched, dunked, crushed by a tank at the links below the break. However, weighing in at 15lbs, no one would call their previous products portable. That's all changed with the introduction of their ioSafe Rugged Portable line of drives at his years Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, NV.
Available in both aluminum and titanium versions (the titanium version is strictly SSD no mechanical HDD), these drives also include ioSafe's Data Recovery Service and No-Hassle warranty for 12 months. In addtion to being much lighter than previous drives from ioSafe, the Rugged Portable is not fireproof per company comments. According to the company's press release, the Rugged Portable Drives feature:
- Full Metal JacketTM Technology: CNC-machined from a solid billet, the aluminum enclosure is crush-resistant to 2,500 lbs. and the titanium alloy enclosure to 5,000 lbs.
- Full Suspension DriveTM Technology protects data during drops of up to 20’ (SSD version) and 10’ (HDD version) onto concrete per military standard 810G Method 516.5.
- HydroSafeTM Technology protects data during immersion up to 3 days in freshwater or saltwater to a depth of 10’ (aluminum version) or 30’ (SSD or titanium version) per IP68. The Rugged Portable continues to be water resistant even when connected via USB or FireWire.
- ChemSafeTM Technology protects data during periods of immersion in diesel fuel, oils, hydraulic fluids and aircraft fuels to a 12” depth for 1 hour per military standard 810G Method 504.
- EnviroSafeTM Technology protects data from continuous exposure to UV, blowing sand, blowing dust, rain, salt fog, icing or freezing rain for up to 24 hours per military standard 810G Methods 505.4, 506.4, 509.4 and 510.
- AltiSafeTM Technology enables operation at altitudes up to 15,000 ft. (aluminum version) and 30,000 feet (SSD and titanium versions) per military standards 810G Method 500.4.
- Theft resistant Kensington Lock® compatible slot.
“This drive will make sure your data reaches its destination safely," said ioSafe CEO Robb Moore. “Whether you need to protect important business data during your daily commute or protect photos during your family vacation, the Rugged Portable will do it. The drive will keep data safe from everyday knocks and bumps associated with travel as well as from moisture, chemicals and extreme environmental and weather conditions.”
ioSafe's Solo line of drives have been the star of many an online video showing the brutal punishment these drives will withstand. The most recent is this video from the Wall Street journal at CES 2011. Our check out one of these:
Granted these drives will cost you more than those that you will find at your local big box retailer, but if you truly need to protect your data from catastrophic loss, give the ioSafe line of drives serious consideration.
DISCLOSURE: To insure transparency and comply with applicable rules, I was provided an ioSafe Solo drive for evaluation and testing purposes at no cost in 2010.